Over the past few months, we have all gone through a very challenging time. The rate of transmission of COVID-19 has been a challenge, causing large numbers of people to become infected quickly, risking overwhelming the health care system. Based on everything we have seen and learned, there are a few things that we should implement rapidly in the event of a future pandemic.
- Mask up immediately
- A study by a team of researchers led by a Texas A&M University professor has found that not wearing a face mask dramatically increases a person’s chances of being infected by the COVID-19 virus
- In the event of a future pandemic using a mask immediately should help reduce the spread of the virus based on various research.
- This is critial in preventing the health care system from being overwhelmed.
- Isolate those that are vulnerable
- For those who are at a higher risk of catching and possibly dying from the virus find a way to isolate them. This will allow society the ability to operate while protecting those that are vulnerable.
- For locations that contain large numbers of high risk individuals consider implementing a method to isolate the staff with the vulnerable population to reduce the risk staff introduce the virus into the location.
- Implement remote work protocol
- Everyone who can work from home should work from home. This helps reduce interactions with other people, such as colleagues or fellow passengers in public transport.
While this won’t solve the problem, implementing these protocols should help to lower the spread quickly and give our medical professionals time to learn and fight the virus.